You see, we do all these nice projects, but most of them are not at our house. We never seem to have the time or the money. With all the traffic our house gets, our vinyl floor which I NEVER liked (it just came in the house), is now in terrible condition and the carpet being cream color (which is not practical for so many people and it to, came with the house) had to be shampooed often.
Well, the idea of putting in the new wood floor had this HUGE snowball effect.1. If we are going to be taking off all the baseboards, to put the floor in, we mine as well paint the walls. It had been four years since we moved in and painted. Which color should we use???
2. If we are going to paint the walls, we should paint the ceiling first. Which by the way, had a crack down the middle, which needed to be patched and sanded. What a mess!!
3. If we are going to be patching, we should lower our arches, so we have room to some day put crown molding up. (Right now they are only 1 1/2 inches from the ceiling.)
4. Since we are taking out the carpet, maybe we should replace some of the carpet on the stairs, with some of the carpet that is still in good condition, from under the couches and other furniture. And fix the squeaky steps while we are at it. (Daddy has lots of helpers, taking out the staples.) There is also the issue that the floor and where the carpet was, is now at different levels. (Do we take out the old floor, or add to the area where the carpet was to make them level? Another issue to deal with!)
5. We removed some of the carpet on the steps and found glue and screws on several of the steps. Which we believe someone already tried to get the squeaks out, and just made a big mess. Not to mention all the staples.
6. Why don’t we refinish the steps instead of putting carpet back on them??? Another major project!!! Let’s see if it is possible.
7. We should also cut away at the floor, that was discolored by the back sliding door, to make sure we don’t have a problem. Yea right!